Here is a quick guide how to connect to a Unix machine grapically from a Windows XP machine.
- Install putty from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
- Install Xming-6-9-0-31-setup.exe and Xming-fonts-7-5-0-25-setup.exe from http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/
- Start XMing and a) select “Multiple Windows” and b) Select Disable Server control and c) Save Configuration (i put it in XMing install folder)
- Start Putty.exe. Put in IP address and port. And then in Connections -> SSH Check “Enable X11 Forwarding” and “X Display Location” should be “127.0.0.1:0.0”
- Log in and typ “xclock” or “firefox” to test
Update 20111018: Also enable SSH compression.
Tags: windows xwindows